Aim of the project
The aim of the Traumschreiber project is to develop a high-tech sleep mask for research purposes, which can measure and manipulate human sleep, providing a unique combination of features to enable new types of sleep experiments at low costs.
- 8 channels, usable for EEG, EOG, EMG or ECG
- data quality good enough to identify typical sleep EEG graphoelements like sleep spindles or slow waves
- built-in stimulation (e.g. LEDs, sound)
- real-time data access via a bluetooth low energy device (e.g. smartphone or Raspberry Pi)
- portable and battery-driven
- secure wireless data transfer
- no black box: transparent data flow from the electrode to the computer
- open source code and open hardware
Version v1.0 of the Traumschreiber, image of the current version v2.4 to follow.
New types of sleep experiments
- real-time automated experiments
- field studies / at subject's home
- mass experiments
- technically complicated paradigms
- different kinds of stimulation
- live data access over internet
All this is possible already, but not in combination.
By researchers, for researchers, non-profit = low costs
This is a research project at Osnabrück University. We already collaborate with scientists from other institutions, and further collaborations are planned or intended (feel free to contact us! :-) ).
Our research project is not profit-oriented, i.e. our production costs are also the costs for other experimenters. This makes the Traumschreiber cheap (expected costs during series production around 100-200 EUR / device).
Example data recorded with a Traumschreiber
Here are some example sleep data recorded with a Traumschreiber. All data were recorded prefrontally with sticky electrodes. Please click on the images.
Below you can see a first demo video of a blinking and beeping Traumschreiber (older version v1.0, there is no video yet of the current version v2.4). The LEDs and speakers are controlled from a Python script on the computer, the control commands are transferred wirelessly to the Traumschreiber.
Our Next Steps
- Further program hardware and software v2.4
- Manufacture 15-20 Traumschreiber v2.4
- Test Traumschreiber v2.4 in closed-loop sleep experiments
- Sleep lab validation of automated sleep staging algorithm
Continuously improve hardware, software and textile sleep mask.
If you are a researcher and would like to get involved, cooperate with us, use Traumschreiber for your research or just have some questions - please feel free to contact us via email to . Also, if you are an amateur craftsman, hobbbyist or programmer - feel free to contact us and tell us about your plans with a Traumschreiber.
However, please keep in mind that we are not "production-ready" and it might take some weeks or even months until we have found a way to mass-produce Traumschreiber to give it to our collaborateurs. :-)